My name is Junious Brickhouse.

In Urban Artistry I serve as the founder and executive director. When we first started the Urban Artistry project, I was simply a mentor of a few people, few talented people. And now I help maintain the day-to-day [operations], and I'm the motivator and I'm the proud guy who sits back and watches everyone do their thing.

I think it's very important to teach something from a perspective of, 'hey these are the people who taught it to me, so I'm going to pass it on to you.' And that's basically what we do.

Come on now, show some support.

We found there are communities of people who don't have those opportunities. They don't get to learn from American artists, and American artists don't get to go there to teach them.

We got a chance to visit Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban and there we worked with undeserved communities as well. This program was unique in that we were there to teach young people how a style of dance that we do called house dance is influenced by movement that they're very familiar with. And they were surprised to know that they had relevance. They were trying to be me, and I was like, "I'm trying to be y'all, I'm trying to do what you're doing."

Currently, I'm working to make sure that my team are well rounded ambassadors of urban dance culture.

Don't take that from her! Don't take that from her!

My culture doesn't have a time limit, just will keep on going, so my future is large.
Comments { 0 }